Equation Solution Counter

Randomized equation with correct solution counter

2 Likes

Jay, I’m wondering if it’s possible to recreate this activity in several different ways:

1. If we replace the = in the equation (and answer) with a <, how do we code to check for correctness? (especially if we change the original problem so that the coefficient of x might be a negative number).
  2. (Our long term plan is to randomize the original problem to switch between <, <=, =, >=, and >).

We don’t have a really good way to work with inequalities yet. The best example so far would be something like point collector: lines, however, that activity uses raw expression which can be tricky.

I’ll draw up a rough example and get back to you.

I’d love to see the code behind Point Collector: Lines. But it’s not available to be copied and edited, I think because it includes a challenge creator.

Could you make a version without the last screen so I could check out the CL? Thanks.

If you’re looking for a version of an inequality capture that doesn’t use rawExpression you can use this: in or out? • Activity Builder by Desmos

I did this one that has multiple x terms and uses a table to allow students to show work. The answer checks aren’t perfect, but it randomizes problems with x terms on the same side or opposite sides. Some code for displaying “1x” or “-1x” as “x” and “-x” respectively.

This is cool. Did you finish it?

Slide 2 (the equation solving only) is working now. There was originally a problem with the scoring. I need to double check Slide 1, and redo slide 3 (mostly by copying slide 2).

A Smith, if you’re still thinking about this, this documentation might have what you are looking for:

https://teacher.desmos.com/computation-layer/documentation#type:inequality

Your idea of randomization - you could generate LHS and RHS and relation symbol based on randomGenerators. Then you could try parsing the latex as both an inequality and an equation, and branch depending on which one is defined…