Adjusting column width of table

Can we adjust the width of a table column? Sometimes I need a narrow column next to a wider column in a table.

You can accomplish this but it takes a bit of hackery that exploits a bit of the way Desmos’ css is coded and then sprinkling some blankspace to emulate whitespace in order to do it.

Recommended? Probably not. Possible? Yes.

See here

1 Like

Thank you Mike. I will attempt it.:+1:

1 Like

Hi, Mike.

Looking at the activity you linked, there is nothing in the CL for me to inspect/copy. Is there still a way to make a column wider, even in a wonky way?

Thanks,
Laura

Hi,

It works without any cl code at all. Just copy and paste the screen into any activity and it just works, with no fuss or muss on your end.

How it works is by using carefully chosen invisible unicode characters to emulate whitespace horizontal padding.

Hope that helps

When I type in that table that you made, it still doesn’t make it wider. The text wraps and the math puts a scroll bar underneath. I’m really hoping for a wide enough column that the math doesn’t use a scroll bar, as it’s really difficult for students to read or to enter their own expression.

Could you share your Activity here? I’ll have a look

This is the one I’m trying to fix:

I think you’re looking for something like this?

No overflow bar on the table columns.
On phones and such there will be an overflow scrollbar on the screen itself but not on the table or any column within the table.

Just copy and paste the blank spaces I’ve placed in there in the table headers: [Copy of] Trig Proof Practice • Activity Builder by Desmos

Oh, wow! You have totally saved me!!! Thank you so much for your help. It works like a charm! Now if only Desmos would make that a bit easier, but now I will remember this activity and come back and copy those blank spaces for other activities if I need it! Thanks again!!

1 Like