Force cells in table to be integers?

How can I require a cell in a table to be an integer value? I want students to view calculator screenshots and enter values for A and B that could have created the screenshot. For example A / B = 10.25. How can I force A and B to be integers in the table (for example 41 / 4) as opposed to decimal values (for example 102.5 / 10)?

Pattern matching will help you here! Here’s how you can make your specific example work.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help. Can I do something similar in a table?

Sure! You can just use isInteger = patterns.integer for the pattern and then something like

isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(1,1)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(1,2))

to check if the cells match the pattern. You could also use the mod function to see if the values are divisible by 1 instead of using patterns.

I’m so sorry, but I’m still doing something wrong. Would you mind taking a look at the coding?

Thank you SO much for your help!

isInteger = patterns.integer
 isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(1,1)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(1,2)) and  isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(2,1)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(2,2)) and  isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(3,1)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(3,2)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(4,1)) and isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(4,2))

You’ve successfully made isInteger an integer pattern. When you are asking

isIntegers.matches()

that returns a boolean (true or false) - which you have to use somehow. You could try setting up an error message for each cell, something like

cellErrorMessage(1,1) = when not(isInteger.matches(this.cellContent(1,1)) "That's not an integer"
                        otherwise ""
2 Likes

That is EXACTLY what I needed, thank you so much!

1 Like