New sinks for sketch

I’d rather take it as it is than not have it at all. And unfortunately, so many times companies can’t develop or provide because they are stepping back to do other things. So I’ll take what we have versus not having the ability to customize.

1 Like

I wade into this discussion with trepidation.

1. A huge thank you to Desmos and the people on this forum who have gone way above and beyond to help me out as I learn more about AB, CL, and teaching in general. No other place (that I know of) is anywhere close to pulling together the pieces of the puzzle-- not to mention just going full “all hands on deck” in this time of crisis.

2. This is not to downplay the intense, and never ending, amount of work it takes to pull off what Desmos is doing. I am sure at some point there were deep discussions about how much to release, how fast, how to support it. I am sure this is very taxing on their resources but to me seems perfectly aligned with what I infer to be their core values. From my perspective it was the right decision.

3. In terms of learning, struggling through with the current state of CL, I find the examples people have made, the replies to posts on this forum, the one:one help available, the daily webinars, and the documentation (as imperfect as it is)–those are great resources. For me, AB with CL is worth it for my students but it is a HUGE chunk of time. Work/life balance? What’s that?

4. We get better together. I remind myself of patience, persistence, and gratitude daily. Some days I am better at that than others.

Onward.

2 Likes

Hey folks. Want to chime in here with some perspective from inside the company.

I can definitely understand the frustrations expressed here. We are aware of the issues in the documentation, and we aren’t satisfied with its current state.

As others in the thread have noticed, we have chosen to prioritize other things so far, relying on webinars and in-person support to help people get by. We know this isn’t a substitute for a high quality documentation and it’s something we want to improve in the future.

3 Likes

Desmos people have really shown themselves to be responsive to the wants and needs or their users. With more and more users coming on board and getting excited about CL, hopefully there will be more “experts” out there sharing their ideas. I personally have utilized the FB group a lot when I get stuck, and they have always come through.

2 Likes

Thanks great to hear Denis, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Glad to hear documentation is on the agenda as that wasn’t at all clear before.

If I might suggest, Documentation > Webinars or Message Boards. It’s deserving of prioritization.

Thanks again

Thank you Denis! Please know that we are all very appreciative of Desmos, AB & CL!

I’d love to help a group develop the examples if that is something Desmos would be interested in setting up?

I think we are all interested in helping. I love the forums, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to find what you are looking for. I’m so thankful for everyone in this community and for the amazing free gift of Desmos! AND for access to CL. It’s been so amazing!

2 Likes

Excellent! That is just what I was hoping to hear and I look forward to seeing the results.

Can you use this to change the sketch tool from drawing a straight line? I want a parabola shape, can that be done?

You can use the freehand tool, but it won’t autocreate a parabola for you. If that’s what you want, you’d need to maybe define movable points on a graph and a quadratic function defined by those points.

Ok!
They are given the equation and asked to sketch the parabola. It’s easy to make points but I was hoping they could use the line tool to connect them nicely. But I will have them free hand it and do their best!

Thank you!