Using the timer to sequence actions

I’m trying to take two actions, with the second depending on the first’s completing. Someone gave me some tips on this last week, but I just can’t find the response. I have the text of their advice, but I can’t make it work. I stripped it down:

I want s_{etn} to trigger s_{etm} which depends on s_{etn} being done.

Thanks

Is it this Facebook thread that you’re looking for?

As far as I can see, the example you’ve just shared works fine - when you press the action s_etn, it updates n, sets Reset to 1, the ticker action picks that up and triggers s_etm, which updates m and sets Reset back to 0. Is this different from what you were expecting?

Thanks.

Yes, I forgot about FB, but I had copied the contents of the advice. I spent a bunch of time searching this forum looking for it. :frowning:

The behavior you describe is what I am after. However, the example I shared doesn’t work for me. When I press s_etn, n is set and r_eSet is set, but s_etm is not triggered and r_eSet remains 1. When I click s_etm explicitly, the expected behavior ensues: m is set and r_eSet is set back to 0.

I’ve enabled actions in my configuration. Is there a timer enable config setting somewhere?

Also: would it be better to set r_eSet back to 0 in the timer? That doesn’t work for me either, but if it did, which is cleaner/better style?

It’s just that the ticker isn’t running in the version you’ve saved and shared. If you hit s_etn, then start the ticker going, everything should work. Then save the version with the ticker running.

In terms of cleanliness, I don’t think there’s a “best practice” as such, but I tend to like as little as possible in the Actions ticker (because there’s so little space) and as much as possible in the main graph. You can even put the conditions in the actions using a format like:

but, really, on this scale I don’t think it makes any difference.

1 Like

AHA! I didn’t know I had to “start the ticker”!!!

Thanks for your patience and kind advice!

I like the idea of packing the flag detect and flag reset in the same line, presumably the line after the flag set. Then the flag variable can service several resets with different values, and the encoding can be local in the code. Here’s what I mean, perhaps obvious.

Thanks!

It’s caught me out a few times too!

You’ve probably already discovered this, but each time you edit the ticker action, you also need to restart the ticker again after that (which makes sense but, again, often catches me out).

1 Like