Adding limits/step sizes on movable points requires alot of "code"

(This is particularly bad when you need to create multiple objects that would otherwise be vectorized).

I want create something like 4 movable points that snap to the grid of real numbers (stepsize = 1).

To do so, I need to create individual entries for x,y values, then pair them up into individual “point” objects (ex: p_1=(x_1,y_1)).

This can be seen in my “drag & drop” example:

Expectation

It would be nice if there was a way to control these values in a more compact fashion.

• A solution would be to allow creating vectors of x & y values with shared limits/step sizes. Said vectors could be collected in a “vectorized point” – as is already possible (p_i = (x_i, y_i))
  • Alternatively, it might be nice if coordinates could be internalized with each point somehow (p_1=(x_1,y_1)) and not take up a separate “code” entry line in the calculator (possibly as a subfolder of some kind – or maybe hidden in the point’s “attributes window”).

I find my graph “code” quickly becomes unmanageable when I require multiple objects (even if their behaviour is simlar).

A little context

Obviously, I think Desmos is a very interesting product that makes building activities much faster than programming something from scratch… Otherwise, I would just program activities from scratch.

So, I don’t want to be discouraging anyone on the dev team. Just pointing out some of my pain points.

I do appreciate the “programming” paradigm of Desmos very much. I also realize that you (hopefully) won’t blindly add features to your system in a way that will break the elegance you are trying to achieve.

Within an activity I think you can do something like this.

OP was wanting to be able to set the step with a table instead of individual points.

1 Like