Display moving coordinates

Hi Squad,

I’m working on an exploration activity dealing with transformations of functions. I’m trying to figure out if there is a way when students move the slider the function can display changing coordinates of key highlighted points.

For example on the parent function there is a point that is labeled (2,4) and when the slider moves I want (2,4) to change accordingly. For the activity I have 5 points that are highlighted and I want their transformation coordinates to keep changing as the slider moves.

Here is the activity that I’m working on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Name your points, then you can apply tranformations to them for new points. Just need to check Label. You could also put them all into a list

A=(-2,4)
B=(0,0), etc.
L=[A,B,C,D]
L_1=L+(c,d)
1 Like

Daniel you are seriously the best!!! Thank you so so soooo much. Also this activity was totally inspired by one of yours that you had posted “Match My Graph”: Transformations in Function Notation."

Also thank you for continuing to answer my questions!

1 Like

You’re very welcome. “Match My Graph” is actually a Desmos activity. I just adapted it to meet the needs of someone who wanted students to use function notation.

Hi Daniel,

If I could bug you again for some help. I’m trying to replicate a demos activity that has depreciated code and this is where you function notation has come in super handy. However, I’m a little stuck on one part.

Besides a,h,k I also want to introduce a fourth element that causes the function to reflect over the y-axis. As “a” has reflection over the x-axis.

Here’s the activtiy screen and a screenshot of the mess I have created for the graphs. In this case e, i, j are the original a, h, k and the new element is u that makes the graph stretch/shrink horizontally and reflect over the y-axis. Is there a possibly for making something like that happen?

Thanks again in advance for the help. I tried to understand everything you had coded in that graph to make all of this work and see if I could somehow make the proper changes and I only got more lost lol.

In a student answer, g(x)=af(x-h)+k, I was treating it as a function of f and x. Then, evaluating the student function at certain values to “solve” for a, h, and k. I’m not sure if a horizontal stretch and reflection throws to much into the mix. Like solving for h with the method I used won’t work for i_1 because of u_0.

Am I just shooting in the dark at this point then? I thought about just just eliminating “e” all together and only apply “u” with the x to reflect across the y-axis. But clearly this is nothing working either. When I try to input the equation it still only reflects across the x-axis :frowning:

Or am I missing something where this could somehow work?

Hi Daniel,

I think I understand why what I’m trying to do is not possible!

I didn’t look through all of your code yet, but is this what you mean by the reflection graph?