How to remove calculator access in an activity involving multiplication fact fluency?

I’m editing a Desmos activity in which the use of a scientific calculator is allowed in every cell of a multiplication fact table. How do I remove this? I want to maintain the self-checking aspect (check for correct, teary emoji for incorrect). The main activity description screen does not have the “allow calculator use” box checked. Thanks in advance!!
([Multiplication Facts [0-12] Multiplication Facts [full self-checking practice set: 0s - 12s] • Activity Builder by Desmos)

Hi,
One solution is to replace
isCorrect1 = this.cellNumericValue(1,2)=numericValue(“0*0”)
with
isCorrect1 = this.cellContent(1,2)=${numericValue("0*0")}

If you need more details or that doesn’t work, let me know.
-mx epstein

Thanks, I tried that but getting “syntax error: unexpected token.” Also, I’m assuming this would need to be changed on every line, correct? I appreciate your help!

One option here is to use pattern matching to make sure that the answer is only a single integer. You can modify the initial block of code like this:

p = patterns

isCorrect1 = this.cellNumericValue(1,2)=numericValue("0*0") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(1,2))
isCorrect2 = this.cellNumericValue(2,2)=numericValue("0*1") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(2,2))
isCorrect3 = this.cellNumericValue(3,2)=numericValue("0*2") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(3,2))
isCorrect4 = this.cellNumericValue(4,2)=numericValue("0*3") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(4,2))
isCorrect5 = this.cellNumericValue(5,2)=numericValue("0*4") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(5,2))
isCorrect6 = this.cellNumericValue(6,2)=numericValue("0*5") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(6,2))
isCorrect7 = this.cellNumericValue(7,2)=numericValue("0*6") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(7,2))
isCorrect8 = this.cellNumericValue(8,2)=numericValue("0*7") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(8,2))
isCorrect9 = this.cellNumericValue(9,2)=numericValue("0*8") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(9,2))
isCorrect10 = this.cellNumericValue(10,2)=numericValue("0*9") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(10,2))
isCorrect11 = this.cellNumericValue(11,2)=numericValue("0*10") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(11,2))
isCorrect12 = this.cellNumericValue(12,2)=numericValue("0*11") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(12,2))
isCorrect13 = this.cellNumericValue(13,2)=numericValue("0*12") and p.integer.matches(this.cellContent(13,2))```

Hi,
Sorry its cause it copy and pasted weird with the quote symbols. It should be like…

isCorrect1 = this.cellNumericValue(1,2)=numericValue("0*0")
with
isCorrect1 = this.cellContent(1,2)="${numericValue("0*0")}"

But ya I Iike Daniel’s idea too. Easier just to insert those bits at the end of each line than doing a more complicated regex find/replace.

I’ve tried both proposed solutions above. The calculator keyboard is still allowed on each line in the table. It seems relatively simple…to have a student input a number, without a calculator (or disable the calculator that is there), and to have it check for correctness.

I’ve edited the activity here: [Copy of] Multiplication Facts [full self-checking practice set: 0s - 12s] • Activity Builder by Desmos
The calculator is disabled overall, the individual cells are set to disable evaluation, and a single number is required. When I test it, there is no calculator that is enabled. Do you mean the keypad that pops up if a student is using a tablet or phone?

WOW!!! Thank you!!! Yes, I was referring to the keypad that pops up in each cell but I see that it’s disabled, so of no use for students. It may be a little confusing for students to still see that, but I will insert a statement on the intro page that is not functional.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help with this!

1 Like

I think i see the confusion. That’s just the standard entry keypad, not the calculator. By default, table cells allow students to enter calculations and they display the result. So you have to disable them for each cell if you don’t want that. But, it will still actually perform the calculation even if it doesn’t show it, so if you check for correctness by the numerical value, it will show correct when you don’t want it to. So in this case, I just added a line to make sure that there is only a single number as the entry as an additional condition for correctness.

I also changed it to check against the numerical value of whatever is in the first column. This way, you can just copy and paste the code as is, and it will work with whatever calculation you write in the first column.

Again, thank you for your time and attention to this today! Greatly appreciated!!