I Made a Button Game (Alternative to Disabling "Next")

No math in this, but I was frustrated that there wasn’t a way to disable the “next” button to keep students from progressing until they’ve mastered an important concept (or at least until they’ve given it a few tries).

This took forever to code, but since it all takes place in one screen, there’s no way to skip ahead to the result you want. You just have to keep pressing buttons (or not pressing them) to accomplish your desired result.

Click here for the Game!

The second slide on the activity will eventually use similar code to create a situation where students can’t see the next clip of a video until they correctly answer a multiple-choice question about the question they just watched.

EDIT: Have since used the feedback here to update the Button Game! Slide 2 has the “doneness” factor, slide 3 uses the “hidden” feature, while slide 4 uses the “coverText” feature. Thanks, all!

I’ve dealt with this by creating a boolean “done” variable in one of the scripts on a page, and using the not() of that for the hidden sink on components of later pages. You can also have a :“Finish the other stuff first” prompt depend on that.

I will note that I use this for asynchronous stuff, but I consider it far inferior to using the pacing in a synchronous environment. Oh, to be able to go back to that.

1 Like

Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing. That would… definitely be easier than what I’ve been trying to do. You rock!

Oh yes, teacher pacing is beautiful and I’m so glad we’ll be able to have SOME synchronous time with students in my district this year.

Another alternative to disabling “Next” is to use coverText in the slide CL (by the ‘Teacher Tips’ button on the left). It’s not in the documentation, but use it as you would the content sink and it will cover the slide based on your conditionals.

3 Likes

Wow! Secret CL sinks… good to know! I’ll try that, too!
It looks like my coverText on Slide 4 goes away after an “Okay” click… is there a way to disable that?

Here’s an example from @cwinske.
He used coverButtonLabel: "" to kill the button.

1 Like