Latex Set Notation

Hello,

I am familiar with LaTeX and so I thought using CL to write simple questions would be a breeze. However, I’m running into a snag as CL doesn’t see to be able to render intersection and union symbol (\cap \cup). How can I typeset these?

If this is simply about inserting the symbols into notes or LaTeX, just copy and paste them from a list of symbols like this one

https://math.typeit.org/

In the same vein. How can I create a math input where the correct answer is a set? Let’s say I want {c} to be the correct answer? Again, I tried to use LaTeX:

problem=answer1
correct:problem.latex="\ {c\ }" (I used spaces since the editor here will render the latex code it seems)

Ah, yes, it works. It’s too bad I can’t just use all the LaTeX symbols :frowning:

1 Like

For any LaTeX you need rendered in the CL, use the following process.

1. Go to the Graphing calculator
  2. Type the expression you need in the input box. Let’s say I’m trying to render the fifth root of x to the power of one-third. So, I use the very functional Desmos keyboard and I type that:

1. Now select the expression and copy it

1. Go to the CL where you need the expression to go and just paste it. Desmos automatically renders the LaTeX:

1. Desmos then renders the correct representation as needed:

Forgot that it needs the \left and \right to work … My bad.

Is there a way to have Desmos to not be super picky on how the answer is entered? Example, if the correct answer is \left{1,2,3,5\right}, Desmos will mark \left{1,2,3, 5\right} wrong because of the extra space. Same if the students enter the element in the set in different order.

Yes, comparing LaTeX input to some original expression is not advisable. Not just because of the extra space you noted but also because while {1,2,3,5} and {5,3,2,1} are equivalent sets, they are not LaTeX-identical.

Checking for correctness is more involved. I found this discussion helpful.

You can use triple backticks in lines above and below your code in the forum to render it as is.

Thank you. I’ll give this a try!