Adjusting the number of spinners

Hi everyone.

I need help adjusting slide 4 or slide 9 of this desmos activity. Instead of 36 spinners, can it do 50 spinners?


I think they did 36 so that he array is square, so maybe 49. I can get the array of spinners to change, but can’t figure out the rest.

This is a more generic version of slide 4. You can use 2 to 70 spinners.

1 Like

Thank you both.

Slide 4 depends on slide 3 being “answered”.

There are two things I was planning on doing: Make the circles 80% one section and 20% the other section. Is there a way I can do this without having slide 3? I wanted to have my students do 50 spins with something with a probability of 80% happening.

I’ve only adjusted slide 4, and now you can change the probability and number of spinners in a hidden table. I currently have it set at 20% blue with 50 spinners. I also took off the dependency from the previous slides.

Thank you so much for the help. I will definitely look at the CL behind it and hopefully learn! Thanks again!

So this is what I made from the slide 4 that you edited. I added a math input on the slide and wanted it to aggregate into a list for a dotplot on the next page. For some reason, the dots don’t stack up. I mean the first dot will be plotted at the bottom, the but the next dot, even if it is not on the same value, gets plotted higher.

Oops, I got it. I adjusted the bin width to 0.02, not 0.2.

Sorry for the constant posts.

Is it possible to duplicate slide 4, and create another slide but will be independent of the results of slide 4, i.e. the students will be spinning 50 spinners twice.

Thanks again.

You can duplicate the slide and randomize one or both with this button. I think you need to change the name of your math input component on the duplicate.

Thanks. That seems to work. When you click that button, what does it randomize?

Desmos has a very informative article with a section describing random() here:

The last section on the page, “Generating random values”, offers an incredibly good description.

If you duplicate an activity with random() in it, it seems to initialize to the same seed, or start value, as the original screen, so that button generates a different seed for the new screen.

Specific to your activity, for this line on screen 4:
C_ircles is the variable for the number of spinners, s_eed is the press count on the spin button, so
you get a sequence of C_ircles random integers in the range [1080…1440] starting with s_eed.

It seems like random() has a seed and you can keep supplying it with new seeds, too. And you can reset the seed on duplicate screens. Nice.