Can I use something a student did as a background to a sketch?

I want to take some student work (a graph, or a sketch) and have the student draw over it. Can I do that?

Yes. The way to draw over something is to make a sketch component, and set the background. There are a couple of ways to do this.

One is to set the image up to have a graph as the background, and then use CL sinks to modify that graph based on student work. You can use all the same sinks as the graph components (number, numberList, function).

The other option is to set the background with a “layer” object. Using that to sketch over a previous sketch would look like:

background: sketchLayer(previousSketch.sketch)

Is there a faster way to copy the graph’s layer rather than setting up the graph again on the next screen?

For instance can I do something like background: graphLayer(previousGraph.something)?

Yes - you can also do graphLayer(previousGraph.calculatorState). There are a few places that you can use these layers (backgrounds for sketches, backgrounds for graphs, and for making thumbnails in challenge creators), and we should probably add a section to the documentation that describes the layer system in more detail.

1 Like

Is there away to reference more than one sketch? Essentially, I have students sketch on one slide (1), and carry that onto another slide (2) where they sketch more. Referring to the second slide’s sketch on a third slide (3) only shows the new marks and not the combination of slide (1) and (2).

Check out this response by Michael Sanchez to last month’s #matchmyCL

layerStack… Thanks!

I know how to background layer sketches from previous slides. But can I source their text boxes and/or their math boxes as well?
Because I can only ever bring over their drawings not their typings. Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, it’s not yet possible to bring forward stuff from text boxes on sketches. I think lots of people have asked for that feature, so hopefully it will be available someday.

1 Like

You could pull stuff in and use a pointLabel to display it. sketch • Activity Builder by Desmos

1 Like