Point Transformations

I am trying to add transformations as an input such as (x+2, y+3) or reflections (-x, y) and move a point on the graph. I can parse an ordered pair such as (2,3) and plot a point like the CL below, but I need to evaluate the expression first then plot it. I do not see a way to combine evaluateAt or other functions with parseOrderedPair to achieve this. Any ideas?

myPair = parseOrderedPair(c1input.latex)

number(“p”): numericValue(myPair.x)
number(“q”): numericValue(myPair.y)

1 Like

My first attempt would be to carry out these actions in the calculator. Create cells in the graph with the content (p,q) and (p+2,q+3). You can style the points in advance and then conditionally display them. An example is at point transformation • Activity Builder by Desmos. You might have a more complicated use-case, but I’d be surprised if it isn’t possible to pass the calculation to the calculator for evaluation. You can always pass it back to CL under a different variable name.

This is really close. Instead of numericValue(), you can use simpleFunction() to turn each coordinate into a functions (probably of x and y) that you can work with (eg evaluateAt or insert into the calculator via a the function sink).

1 Like