Progress log template

I’m working on this template for a class progress log. Each week has an individual log, then the weekly class stats. Thoughts?

https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/628c30cdbe46475af8d0dfe3

1 Like

This is really interesting. Where do you intend for your students to practice–somewhere like Khan Academy or IXL? It might be interesting to also include a screen for reflection at the end of each week. Something like “How does your practice compare with the class statistics?” “If your practice is less than your classmates, what is getting in the way of your practice?” “What advice would you give to a classmate who is having a hard time remembering to practice?” “Do you notice any patterns in your personal data or in the class data?”

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas, @Anne_Guerriero !
This will be our second year of implementing CPM in an online school. The focus will be the Review and Preview (their spiraled practice), but we left it deliberately vague so that we can include other targeted supports. Your reflection questions are fantastic, and we’re working on building weekly reflection into class… perhaps into this activity? We want a single class-code for each 12-week trimester, so we don’t want it to be tooooooo long!

i think
This can be useful for identifying trends or patterns in the data and making informed decisions about teaching strategies or pintdow it sound like a good approach to track class progress our time.

I just found this thread again and I am wondering how the practice log went this year. Did you use it? Find it helpful? How did students feel about it? I ask because I am wondering how to both encourage students to practice skills outside of school and train students to reflect on their learning.

It seems like tracking their own practice and also seeing class trends in practice might help students to recognize that some students who seem to understand things effortlessly (because they are “good at math”) are actually people who practice outside of school and that more quality practice is correlated with greater success on assessments.

Hi Anne,

This was my hope. It turns out that it wasn’t an effective behavior change tool. However, I teach online, so consistently helping students change their behavior didn’t work. It might be more effective in person where you could continually redirect them until the habit is built. The ones who actually did it were the ones who didn’t need it. We dropped this in December.

Let me know if you want to chat more!

Rats! I was hoping it had worked really well for you! I do teach in person, though, so I may give your template a try next year to see if it is helpful in a different setting. I am particularly curious to see if it would be helpful for my intervention groups, who generally do not have the habit of practicing regularly. I will keep you posted!

Thanks Anne, I would love to hear if it’s more successful in your setting!