Aggregating lists

This works:

aggregate(graph.number("n"))

But this gives me an error:

aggregate(graph.numberList("L"))

Why can’t I aggregate values if I have students enter them in lists instead of as individual numbers?

1 Like

Aggregate only supports aggregating numbers into lists of numbers. We will probably allow one to aggregate other things in the future (strings, perhaps points or lists of lists too).

Hello! Has this feature been enhanced to allow aggregating of strings? I am imagining students answering a basic question on screen 1 in an Input, and having all student responses be displayed in a Note on screen 2.

Thanks!

Chris Wright

He haven’t. What strings would you collect on screen 1?

Do you have an estimate of when this will be available?

I’d like to have students enter conjectures and use the aggregate function to make a complete class list. I was thinking that I could encode their string responses as numbers, aggregate, decode, and display. But I don’t think there’s a way to refer to specific characters within a string, so there is no way to convert characters to digits that could be encoded.

I’m making last minute changes before a conference, so this probably won’t help me in time but I’m still thinking about it… It seems like you have the ability to aggregate strings because its built in as an option for students to see the responses of their classmates. I was originally envisioning aggregated strings being the content displayed in an ordered list and asking students to rank the conjectures by the order in which they’d like to prove them. This would be so cool!

For tomorrow, I’ll just pause the activity and review responses, so its all good.

Hey Claudine!

There’s currently no timeline for this request. we will post an update if this becomes a feature. Currently, use of the classroom conversation toolkit in the teacher dashboard and “what other students said” from the student experience is your best bet.

I would just like to echo what others have said about aggregating strings. It would be so helpful! Any updates on possible string aggregates? (Love all you do and keep doing with Desmos, by the way.)

No plans in motion yet. The best I can offer is using pattern matching to reconstruct your strings. And that only works if you’re really restrictive with your inputs.