Coding for extraneous solutions

I am creating an activity for solving radical equations and I am making it so that students cannot move on to the next screen until they have solved the previous (and I have to say I am super proud of myself for figuring that one out!).

However, with radical equations, students may get one answer, two answers, or an extraneous solutions. I don’t want to give away that there is only one answer (or there are two) by offering one or two math entries, so I’m making tables. In my last screen, the answer is 3 but there is an extraneous solution of -4. I came up with something but I’m wondering if there is a better way to code this. Here is the activity:

Any input that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Karen,
I would add one more column where students type E or S, depending if number is solution or extraneous solution. After you check both cells for correct answer then post checkmark and use that to mark check on dashboard.
One more thing that I would add to all screens where students need to solve equations is a sketch box for students to use to write their work. This way you have one extra info about their understanding. You have enough space on each screen below tables. :slight_smile:
I hope this helps.

1 Like