Creating a Class Dotplot

My computation layer skills are much too low to design this, but I feel like it can be done. Here is what I have been thinking about.

Screen 1:
Students Are shown a 1 column table that they can input 5 numbers. When they do this, a dot plot is simultaneously made of their 5 numbers on the same screen.

Screen 2:
Students are shown the class dot plot of all data from the 5 numbers they put in. Like if it was a 20 person class, they’d see the dotplot of 100 dots.

I have been told that this can be achieved with the new JOIN function. My computation skills are far too low. I am wondering if someone could create these two screens or direct me to more resources that are available to help teach myself the computation layer. I have seen the Desmos site, attended the seminars, and am subscribed to the subreddit (which sent me here)

I appreciate the time that anyone takes to look at this post. Take care and stay safe.

-TJ

Here’s an example that should work for you. There may be more efficient ways, but it’s a start!

2 Likes

Holy smokes! Thank you so much for your time. This is great. I’ve given it a test and it’s working perfectly.

I notice that the window adjusts on the x axis. Is there a way for the y axis to do the same for the class data. For example if for some reason a particular number shows up more than I expected, can it optimize to adjust?

I really appreciate you time. This will also give me a place to start learning some of the code myself.

-TJ

The y-axis should be set to a similar algorithm.

This is a screen shot of a student screen for the second slide. I made three dummy accounts and inputed all 1’s except for one 100. So there should be 14 1’s and the outlier. It adjusted for the outlier on the x axis, but the y axis doesn’t show all the 1’s.

I really appreciate your time. What you have done for me already exceeds what I expected when I posted this. I can adjust the screen to a more reasonable y axis. I also might have done something wrong, that often happens :grinning:

-TJ

You’re right, I had a mistake in calculating the mode. It seems to be working correctly now.

I am convinced that you are the most generous person in the world. This will save my students so much this year in AP Stats.

Are there any resources that you know of that make learning computation layer easier?

Take care and be safe.
-TJ

Kind words, but this actually didn’t take that long to make. Just like anything, exposure to examples and then practice helps. Some resources that might help:

1. Search this forum for “webinar.” @Jay has several out there that are helpful.
  2. I found the Scavenger Hunt to be useful when I learned, although the solutions might be out of date.
  3. Check out the documentation.
  4. Use this forum (or Twitter) to ask questions when you get stuck.

I would also add - copy other people’s activities and figure out how they work. This is especially true for the Desmos created ones.

1 Like

Hello! I stumbled upon this and I am so happy I did! Thank you all for your hardwork!

I am wondering if anyone in this thread knows how to do the same thing but with a boxplot?

@Caroline_Karr All you need to do is copy the activity that @cwinske made, click “Edit Graph” and change Dotplot(L,1) to Boxplot(L). It will do exactly the same thing, but with a boxplot instead.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks!

I am looking to do something similar as TJ. I’m not sure Desmos can do it.

Students in two different groups would see a different list of letters (either JFK-CIA-FBI-USA-SAT-GPA-GRE-IBM-NBA-CPR or JFKC-IAF-BIU-SASA-TGP-AGR-EIB-MN-BAC-PR, only the dashes are different for the two groups.) I have the activity mostly built for just one group where it shows the string for a time (upon a button press), and then the list disappears, and then students have to list the string as best they can by memory.

I think I can follow your example to get a dotplot of the results (number of letters correctly guessed) for one group, but I would like to have the students randomly assigned to one of two groups at the start, and display dotplots for both groups at the end.

Can Desmos do such a random assignment to divergent aspects of the activity?

Thanks,
Steve

I think I figured it out. Here it is: Memorizing Letters • Activity Builder by Desmos

I have students pick either group A or group B based on their student numbers (odd/even)

That’s a great lesson! I will be using this for my AP Stats class.

I love this activity so far, but I am attempting to edit it and have some questions:

1. Within the graph on the first slide, why is “L” a six-element list when only 5 elements will be entered into the table?

2. For A_1, A_2, etc., would it matter if I chose to use different numbers other than 1, 2, and 3, or if, for example, I used more 2’s than 3’s?

Thanks so much for the help!

The list, L, in the graph gets overwritten with the CL code, so it doesn’t matter what you put in that list in the graph. The same goes for the A_1…A_5 lists in the second screen. The values that go in those lists are generated by the students and get overwritten by the CL code.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey @cwinske thank you so much for this! I’ve used this for several different activities however I’ve hit a road block when trying to use something other than whole numbers. I had my students enter proportions as decimals (for example .147) and it makes each dot move up on the y-axis even if it is a unique value.

1. Do you know why this happens?
  2. Is there a way to fix it or should I just stick to whole numbers?

You might have to enter the graph and adjust the bin width. Here’s a help article on data visualizations that explains it nicely.

Changing the bin width did it, thanks!