Error message for not inputting an ordered pair

Can anyone help with giving an error message to students when they do not enter an ordered pair into a table cell? In other words, force them to enter an ordered pair?

1 Like

I messed around with it for a while. I overcomplicated it by adding a randomization piece that you didn’t ask for, but here it is anyway so you can see some options. [Copy of] Error message : not ordered pair • Activity Builder by Desmos

I don’t know where you got the submitButtonText sink because I don’t see it in the documentation. Perhaps I just missed it. I added a separate button. I passed the table input to a hidden graph and then parsed the point and passed it to the calculator to check whether the values matched and whether a point was entered. I disabled the button when the table input is not a point.

I would caution that you should be careful when checking against the exact string of the input in general because a student might enter “(+3,+4)” instead of “(3,4)” and get marked wrong. That’s why it is recommended to check the actual value of the coordinates for correctness.

1 Like

You can use parseOrderedPair to do this most easily. Here’s an example: [Copy of] Error message : not ordered pair • Activity Builder by Desmos

1 Like

Thanks, Serge and Daniel!