Exporting Data in to a Spreadsheet

I wonder if there are any plans in the works to allow teachers to export user data from an activity. It would be incredible if there was a way, for example, for the teacher to choose an item to export. It could be a multiple choice selection, or math input latex, or a graph.number(‘a’). If those could be exported to spreadsheet or csv I could use those for grades. I would just need it to associate with their username and email. Any plans?

No concrete plans yet, but were thinking about some possible solutions over here!

3 Likes

I can’t wait. This would be a dream come true. If I can offer my two cents for free, just having the ability to export a variable/number of choice would give us the flexibility to choose, through computation layer, what exactly that number represents. It could be a number from a graph that represents the average of all the correct multiple choice questions. Or a number from a graph that was coded to check all the math inputs for .evaluateAt values and return a score. The list goes on. Thank you!

Would love if you could also export in more detail e.g. the sketches and graphs and any other states on each screen.

I just saw a chrome extension that downloads the Desmos dashboard to a spreadsheet. It might be worth looking at:

If you try it out, please share your results.

1 Like

The author is on this forum (and the Desmos Educators Facebook group). I’m sure @mxepstein is willing to answer any questions (or take any feedback) you might have. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s something to ask to have unblocked by admin :slight_smile:

Hi, I downloaded the extension and it does download the data to a CSV spreadsheet. It is a nice feature to record students participation, but unfortunately it doesn’t download the students responses. The dashboard spreadsheet will record the students names and list if the work is complete, incomplete, correct, and incorrect.

Just revisited this, and with a quick formula I can turn that total correct column into a grade. Perfect. I love it. It doesn’t replace analyzing student work, but sometimes I just want a simple grade. Perfect

1 Like

Hi, Rick: I’m curious about how you changed the correct/incorrect responses into grades? Would you mind sharing an example of this spreadsheet?

I’d be happy to share my version of this process if anyone’s interested. Desmos Export Grading Example
It’s a bit convoluted and requires some knowledge of spreadsheets, but it’s the best I’ve been able to come up with so far. It took some effort upfront, but since I do Desmos nearly daily in my classes, the automation has saved me a tremendous amount of time and headache over the course of the year.

My daily grading takes about 20-30 minutes and looks like this:

1. Export the activity for all my classes using the Chrome extension.

2. Import the activity into the [Desmos Export] sheet. It’s fine to append all classes together for a single activity.

3. Manually review flagged student work and adjust their points as necessary. (This is where the vast majority of my time is spent.)

4. Copy the final points from the [copy-paste] sheet into the [tracking] sheet.

5. Export from the [lms_import] sheet and then import into my LMS gradebook.

The spreadsheet also includes a [class_info] sheet, which contains lookup data that links my students’ Desmos info to their LMS info. Of note, Desmos only has a first and last name field, not a student ID, so you may need to get creative on how you do deterministic lookups. I use the last name field for their student ID.

Happy to help if you have questions or suggestions!

If you’re interested in the logic for assigning points, it’s all in the [Calculations] sheet. I’ve included a summary behind the blur-cut, but I didn’t want it to be overwhelming for people who aren’t interested :wink:.

1. For each submission, it counts the number for each slide status (Complete, Correct, Warning, Incorrect) and then uses a formula to determine whether they did enough work to get credit. In my class, I emphasize participation over correctness, so I sum all statuses except for “Incomplete” and “Read,” but you could adjust that based on your class expectations.

2. It then finds the maximum points that any student got. The max points are used as the denominator to calculate the % for each individual student.

3. It assigns student points based on a % threshold. (Threshold and number of points can be adjusted in the [Instructions] sheet.) Any student that meets or exceeds that % threshold gets all the points. Again, this all-or-nothing logic is based on my classroom expectations and could be adjusted.

4. It flags student work that should be reviewed individually. One criteron is a significant discrepancy between completed/correct and warning/incorrect (either misunderstanding or they’re trying to game the activity). The other criterion is that some work was done, but not enough to reach the threshold (disengagement). The [Override] column is for points adjustments if warranted after review.

Wow I just saw this, hope it still finds you. I’ll get a spreadsheet to you. In the meantime do this – in the spreadsheet there is a column for total correct. Insert a column to the right of it and use this function =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-8 , Drag the formula down to autofill the column. This will take JUST the number of correct slides and omit the word “correct”. Then right of THIS new column, insert another column. Just do the math in this new column, using the total number and the number in your new column . Ex =B1/12 if there are twelve slides.