Graph circle from student input

Hi! I am trying to get a circle to graph from student input. I found an example, however Desmos won’t let me use it because it says that the CL is deprecated. Any ideas?

In your graph CL,

function(`f`): parseEquation(input.latex).differenceFunction("x","y")

In the graph:
0=f(x,y)

1 Like

Yes! Thank you!

image001.jpg

Do you know how to fix raw expression CL now that Desmos doesn’t recognize it?

image001.jpg

There’s no replacement for rawExpression itself. It’s figure out how to work around it. If you have a two variable equation, this should work for most, but it’s kind of situation by situation.

Ok thanks

image001.jpg

Hello!

I’d love to be able to animate each piece of the student’s function.

Seeing the horizontal shift, then vertical shift, then radius out. How can I extract the shifts from the student equation? Would this require parsing?

-TJ French

Yeah you could do that with patterns. What is the structure of your function? (What parent function or just general f(x) notation, and what parameters?)

Here is the slide I’m working on.

There is a “Goal Circle” and a “Student Circle” folder in the graph component. Right now it will reveal the student circle. I’d love a way to extract the horizontal shift, vertical shift and radius from their response. Once I have those numbers I’d be able to animate the rest.

This should work. Let me know if you have questions. I tried to document what I was doing inside it, but patterns take a while to really get. [Copy of] CL Question Circle Animation • Activity Builder by Desmos

1 Like

You should be able to avoid patterns altogether using the conic function! Its also much more flexible Circle Builder • Activity Builder by Desmos

1 Like

Here is the updated slide with your adjustment.

Thanks so much for the documentation (narrative?) of what each piece is accomplishing in the CL!!! Now I’ll be able to dig a bit deeper into patterns.

1 Like

Oh wow! No idea this was an option. Thanks Jay!

Yeah I didn’t either. I can’t keep up! :grinning: