How to write the latex for a simple function

I have a lot of difficulties using latex. On slides 3 and 5 I need to hide the last 2 elements until the correct equation is typed in the math text box, but I can’t get it to work. For example, m2, on slide 3, should say Can someone show me how to write it?

Also, is there any way to get the graph to connect the dots when it’s graphing from a table (outside of the graphing element), like on slides 4 and 6?

Here’s the link for the lesson that I’m working on.

Fixed the graph on slide 4. Take a look. Can you clarify what assistance you need on slides 3 and 5… which elements need to be hidden etc… since there are a lot of elements.

Thank you so much! I haven’t had time to investigate how you did that yet, but I look forward to learning from it soon.

On slide 3 I need c2 (checkboxes) to be hidden until the correct answer (an equation) is given in m2 (math input). Right now it’s just hidden until m2 is submitted. Does that make sense?

Fixed slide 3 as well. I hope this helps. It’s linked above in my first response.

Here’s the link.

I really appreciate your help. I understood what you did on slide 3 and was able to duplicate it throughout the lesson. However, I’m still really struggling with the graphs. The only one that is working is the first one that I copied from you. The rest of them are a mess and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.
On a related note, each section of this lesson has 2 graphs. The 2nd one should have the information from the 1st one, along with additional information. I’m not sure if it is better to re-create the 2nd graph from scratch, or automatically have it copy over from the first one.

I really, really appreciate any help you can give. This is going to be a big project for my students and I want it to be done right.
Thank you,
Hannah

For the graphs, you are setting up the table of values with p and q as variables, which is fine:
but then in the CL, you are using

numberList("p"): t1.columnNumericValues(2)
numberList("q"): t1.columnNumericValues(3)

which is injecting (or trying to inject) the entire year column into p, and the entire population column into q.

The two ways around this are to either only inject the correct values - so

number("p"): t1.cellNumericValue(2,3)
number("q"): t1.cellNumericValue(3,3)

OR, easier still, just set up p and q as lists in the graph, then keep the same CL as before but just plot (p,q)

(I pre-filled a couple of values of p and q to give access to the styling options).

Whichever option you pick, make sure that you update the table references in the CL - at the moment, all of them say t1.cell.... instead of t10 or t12 etc.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I’m anxious to get in there and figure this out. The repeating t1’s were because I had re-copied that first slide so many times trying to figure it out that I’d just given up.

I really appreciate the time you took to explain this.

So, I did what you said, and it worked, but, it brought me back to where I was at the beginning…how do I make the points connect? This is a linear modeling project and having the dots connect is an important part of the representation. I feel greedy to keep asking for advice, but how do I connect the dots?

In the expression list of the graph on slide 4, will this do what you want?

y=-2503.6(x-1970)+65000 {min(q)<y<max(q)}

In @pirsquared 's image, left click and hold on the blue circle next to (p,q), you can turn lines on and it will connect the points.

1 Like

Yes, that would work. I experimented with using equations instead of points. I probably will do that on the second slide of each section if the points aren’t already listed.

That’s what I didn’t know. I had clicked there, but I didn’t know to long hold it.

I’m moving forward. Thank you to everyone who helped me!!

Hi Hannah.
I opened up this conversation, because I also have issues with latex. Rather than finding any particular clarification, I found a really cool activity! I really like what you’ve done here and how you are using Desmos to encourage mathematical skiils, research and action at the same time. Love it.
:slight_smile: Valerie

I’m glad you like it. My students are presenting their work tomorrow for that project. So far, it has gone really well. Feel free to use it if you want!