Table to graph of inverse function

Hi -
If I give my students the graph of a function, I want them to enter the ordered pairs of the inverse function and have not just the points appear on the graph but also the graph of the inverse function. Is this possible?

This is unclear. Do you want the points they enter to create a best fit line/curve? How do you envision the graph of the inverse appearing? Really not certain of the objective.

Here is the link to my desmos activity. Inverses-A graphical approach • Activity Builder by Desmos

On slide 5, I have given them the graph of a function with three clear points. They are to realize that the inverse will switch the x and y coordinates, plot those points and then I would really like for the inverse function to appear after they plot their points.

YES! This is definitely possible.
I’m trying to remember tables also when I came across your post. If I find your answer while digging for mine, I’ll share. I’m still not strong at CL tables on the fly!

Good luck!

I recommend that you’ll want a submit button on the table.
Then you can make it so the inverse graph and the points don’t appear “until they submit” (instead of appearing right away). Or you can have the points appear as they type the values BUT have the inverse function appear after they hit the submit button.

Slide 5:
I changed your g(x) & h(x) into 1 function f(x) using piecewise. (this will be beneficial possibly as you dive deeper)
I copied f(x) and changed it to be g(y) to create the inverse…everything that was x got changed to y. (function of y instead of x—awesome “cheat”!!!)
I created 3 ordered pairs for the inverse.
You’ll need to tie these three points to the table in CL.
Then program so the points appear on submission.

I like where you are going…I recommend adding the point on the square root (2,-1) to have 4 points…so often students focus on changes in a piecewise and don’t focus on “other important points”.

And Desmos won’t let me create more than 3 replies at once…2 strategies listed in 1 reply here:

Here’s info about a table button:

Table Button

In Table CL:

submitButtonText: “check”

#this creates a submit button on the table with the label “check”

Now you can code in CL to check if it’s been submitted:

NOTE CL:

content: when table1.submitted “yay”

otherwise “try again”

Grab Values from a Table to use in graph:

In Graph CL:

#numbers pulled from table on last screen

number(“x_1”):table9.cellNumericValue(1,1)

number(“x_2”):table9.cellNumericValue(2,1)

number(“x_3”):table9.cellNumericValue(3,1)

number(“x_4”):table9.cellNumericValue(4,1)

number(“y_1”):table9.cellNumericValue(1,2)

number(“y_2”):table9.cellNumericValue(2,2)

number(“y_3”):table9.cellNumericValue(3,2)

number(“y_4”):table9.cellNumericValue(4,2)

In graph, create ordered pairs:

(x_1,y_1)

You can get rid of the sliders, but then the graph complains while you are editing.

In your table, the first X cell is (1,1) and the first Y cell is (1,2)
(not the title row, but the values)

Instead of each grabbing each number from the table you could do:

numberList(“X”): table9.columnNumericValues(1)
numberList(“Y”):table9.columnNumericValues(2)

then, in the graph

(X,Y)

1 Like

Thanks! I needed that reminder!
Do you know if it’s possible to go the other way (from list in graph to table values)? That’s what I was trying to find last week!

I don’t think so, not easily. Just have to do each cell separately.