Building Magic Sum Activity

I want to build a magic sum on a desmos graph as an activity. This invovles having the same sum horizontally as vertically using the numbers 1-5. I have specified 5 circles on the graph to input the numbers. I need to write strings to those 5 ordered pairs, retrieve the numeric values input by students and return the values so that the student can play with the sums (it is a guess-and-check activity). I a new to computational layer. I think I can use activity buttons, but am trying t figure how to retrieve then sum the values

Could you post what you have so far? I’m not quite understanding what you want.

I’ve created the activity that I linked. In each of the circles, I want the students to enter a number: 1,2,3,4,5 in such a way that the vertical sum equals the horizontal sum.

For example;
5 1 2

5+1+2=8, 1+4+3=8

Is there coding in CL that would allow the students to enter these values to the screen,
sum them, and return a string saying the total was equal?Magic Box Sum

You’ll need to mark the activity as public. At the moment it’s private and so I can’t view it.

I went back into the activity and made it public. It is incomplete.

Since the digits cannot be repeated, making the numbers in the graphing calculator and having them dragged to the favored location would be easier to create. It would be possible to enter multiple numbers through the math input component to show up in the graphing calculator, but if the sums aren’t equal, I’m not sure it’s possible to reset them. If it is, it would be a lot of difficult work using CL.

Here’s an example that might work for you with dragging the numbers.

Thanks. Where can I see the code for that? I would like to build several of these.

I looked at the code. Very clever! I am going to play around with it for different sums. Thanks a lot!

I recalled that Desmos had made some Open Middle tasks similar to this and they were much more elegant in design. I took a look at the code for those and applied it to the Magic Sums game (along with a couple more additions). Here’s a new copy.

I like the looks of that much better. I will also check out the Open Middle tasks. Are the png files the circular numbers attached to the points?

The png files are kind of attached to the points. I didn’t take the time to fully understand the code that the Desmos team made, but from what I glanced at, the picture file is attached to the point unless it gets within a certain boundary from the center of the box - I think within a radius of 1. Once the point gets within that boundary, the picture “snaps” to the center of the box until the point is moved outside that boundary again.

That’s pretty much it. Nice adaptation!