Correct checkmark

I was expecting to get a correct checkmark in the summary if this code is in the graph:

correct: when (g4.number(`R`)=60 or g4.number(`R`)>60) true otherwise false

But no checkmark is added

:frowning: Iam not sure what’s happening

Thnak you

It’s slide 2

Your math input, m4, needs a correct sink or readOnly: true. Also, for your correct sinks you don’t need a when-otherwise. You just need to define all the conditions you want met. And, you can use “greater or equal to” like this:

correct: g4.number(`R`)>=60

Still not showing in the summary. I don’t know why.
Screenshot_2021-01-21_04-21-53

I think this is outside my knowledge. Maybe has something to do with the resetOnChange? I see an X in the preview when I have an answer in the input. Also, I’m not certain, but I think if there’s no interaction with the graph it won’t grade, so that should have readOnly: true. Could be wrong though.

You’re getting the dot because students don’t interact with the graph component, yet its marked with correctness.

The dashboard is. interpreting it as - everything that has been attempted so far is correct but there is stuff on the screen that hasn’t been touched yet.

To avoid this make sure that you follow these rules:

1. put correctness in the component that the student does the work in, even if the calculation is done behind the scenes elsewhere
  2. mark stuff that students don’t interact with direactly as readOnly: true

You’re also capturing values from the “start” button (btn1) and building a list used to calculate “best attempt”. Do you mean to move it over to act9?

1 Like

It took me a while to understand it but I understand it now. It doesn’t work for me and it actually does make much sense either.

Let me explain it.

Traditionally Math was repetitive and computation oriented. Nowadays we are focusing in understanding, which is fine, but sometimes we forget fluency, which in my opinion is also important.

The desmos I am building tries to solve this problem and make sure all my students (I have all kinds of students DL, ESL, low income… many different levels) are fluent in basic operations that later will need in class. It also allows me during remote learning having students from the same class solving so different things like: 2x+3x and (-3x+2)^2

The way you guys thought that “correct” is that the student is doing one thing per slide. But I believe is much more powerful when we can achieve a higher level of interaction and we make the student work hard to solve that slide.

What happens to me is that, for every exercise, I reset the input of the student. Therefore, because Desmos do not detect interaction from the students does not add the check mark in the summary.
I don’t understand why you are putting this requirement of “the student must have interacted with the component” and you do not let the programmer decide. You are limiting possibilities here.
Instead source interacted would give the programmer the flexibility to check interaction, while people like me, could be free to decide when the student is correct.

It would have saved me so much time that correct check mark in the dashboard! It would have allowed me to monitor student progress really fast!

Thank you anyway for you answers!

The reason why I must move the “best attempt” to another button is because on the other button act9 I capture the timing. The grade is time based to assure fluency. It’s computed using an exponential decay function. I can not capture the grade until the time is captured and the grade is computed. It took me a while to understand it myself.

readOnly: true is your way of deciding the student doesn’t need to interact with the component. It doesn’t mean you can’t use aspects of that component in the correct sink of another component a student actually interacts with. Whatever correctness condition you wanted in the graph put into the correct sink for the input instead.

If put readOnly: true in both the graph and the Math input, a dash is showed in summary.
If I put readonly: true in the graph only then the problem I have is that because I erase the student input on the Math input, Desmos is waiting for the student to put in something to give the checkmark. But that’s not what I want.
There is no way of achieving the checkmark the way I have programmed it.

Roger Borrell

I understand now. My bad.

Ok … I have a screen that randomly selects a table for a student to complete.
If the randomly chosen table to completed correctly it marks ALL of the other tables correct.
The only other components on the screen are a note and a a media file [gif].
In my attempt to debug the issue I set up the note to give feed back on the correct status of each table.
When I do the table correctly all of the other tables are marked correct and the dashboard remains a dot … not a checkmark. I am a bit of a loss. There is the Activity.

That’s a lot of tables on one screen!

Trouble is, you’d need to denote each table not being used as readonly: true to get that correct check.

I’d recommend simply doing a different table for a different screen.

Thanks Mike!

I was hoping to have each student get a slightly different table and I couldn’t figure out how to randomize the initial text for different cells. This was my plan B!

I am truly amazed how fast your response time is for these Desmos questions.

You all rock over at Desmos!

Again than you for the feedback!

Have a perfect evening!

Steve OUT!