Feature request for Media: setting startTime and endTime to allow only an interval of a video

I have a video and would like to be able to programmatically limit the section of the video which is displayed depending on whether/how a student has answered a question.

For instance, let’s say I have a 6 second clip but only want the student to be able to access the section from 1 to 4 seconds.

I would love to have sinks like
startTime: 1
endTime: 4

(Note that even if I used the existing time sink that sets the initial time, but doesn’t stop the student from going to an earlier time.)

I can come close to simulating the desired behaviour with the following code

time: when this.time < 1 or this.time >= 4 1 otherwise this.time

But this produces a very jerky output, and in fact I was surprised that the code was even accepted because it paves the way for circular definitions.

There are a fair number of decent free or open source video editing software. I’ve used OpenShot. The interface looks a little complicated initially, but it’s fairly easy to use.

Agree there are workarounds and I have been doing something like this in the past, but I would prefer not to have hundreds of unnecessary files created and then have multiple media components on the one screen just to simulate something that should be straightforward.