Offset dotplots

I am wondering if there is a way to offset dotplots in a way that is similar to offsetting boxplots. My 6th grade students are measuring the circumferences of 3 different species of trees. I want them to be able to observe plots for all 3 species at the same time and make comparisons but it gets difficult when each dotplot starts from the same height. I know that we could make observations about the boxplot and have each of those offset, but I want students to make observations about the entire set of data first before we use a summary representation.

Here is my clunky task-specific work around. I wonder how I could build a better, more universal solution.

Looks like you can offset the data with \operatorname{dotplot}\left(k-O_{ffset},m\right)

See if this works for you.

Thank you for your help. I think this link will give a better visual of what I am looking for. As you can see, the boxplots can be offset in the GC by changing the offset value. This causes the boxplots to separate vertically so they can be compared. I am trying to do the same thing with the dotplots - separate them vertically. Instead they overlap, which makes it difficult to compare the two data sets.

I couldn’t find a way to do it with the built in dotplot function. I put this together which basically recreates a dotplot, and lets you change the y-value as the offset. See if this helps: dotplot with offset | Desmos

This is great. I played around with it. With the changes that I added, the top dotplot’s height will adjust as the mode of the bottom dotplot increases.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ijm2zq2dmn

1 Like