Student Feedback on Screen

I am looking for a way to let students know if the coordinates they entered are correct on a screen. The activity Transformation Golf displays “Success” to a student when they have correctly transformed a figure. How does this work? I have a table where students input ordered pairs to graph a dilation. Once the correct dilation and ordered pairs show up I want the screen to display “Success”. Cannot find computation layer code for this.

Hey! Do you wanna to put a link up to your activity and I can take a look? I can edit your project and hopefully show you what you’re looking for.

If you want something to appear under a certain condition you can do the following:

1. Make a conditional statement that outputs 1 when the correct answer is entered and 0 otherwise. This can be in the graph or the script, up to you. Make sure the resulting output is a number in the graph.
  2. Put the “success” image you want into the graph.
  3. In the center coordinate add a condition using squiggly braces. I.e. {X=1} would mean that the variable you set for the condition result, X has to be 1 in order for the image to show. Make sure the condition is inside the parentheses.
1 Like

https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5ba400c8ed14a5313136f7dd

On the screens where students enter ordered pairs, I would like that once the correct set of ordered pairs are entered and graphed, Success! appears on screen. Not sure how to accomplish this.

1 Like

Use the same concept but with your point values: success! • Activity Builder by Desmos

1 Like

Jay,
This makes sense to me. I only have one question. In your code that you have, you used numericValue. What do I use for a list of x and y coordinates? Do I use numberlist for x and y column with another and statement?

number(“I”): when exp1.numericValue=5 and exp1.submitted 1

otherwise 0

1 Like

If you want to define which points go where in the table it’s more or less the same tactic, just repeated. You would have to make sure each row corresponds with a point, i.e. row 1 is A, row 2 B and so on. Then you can just use cellNumericValue(row,column)=[correct coordinate]. String those together and use that as your condition. The way you have it where any number can go anywhere you probably need to do something like this: Desmos | Graphing Calculator.

Basically I’m just checking each of the preimage points against the whole table. If that point is found it outputs 1. The list is totalled and if the number of found points is 4 then it is marked correct. In this example order is not taken into account at all and what you will end up with may be a crossing of lines so I recommend the first method.

1 Like

This makes sense. Thank you. I do not know why I did not think of conditional sums as an option. Will try. I may have to contact you if I cannot get it to work. LOL

1 Like

cellNumericValue(row,column)=[correct coordinate]
I am getting an error with square brackets. Unexpected token. I have tried to enter correct ordered pair [0,0] or [(0,0)] and [0 0]. What am I missing?

1 Like

Oh sorry no square brackets. I put it in there for formatting. Just a number

1 Like

Thanks.

number(“I”): when myPointsTable1.cellNumericValue(1,1)=0 0 and myPointsTable1.cellNumericValue(2,2)=15 6 and myPointsTable1.cellNumericValue(3,3)=-7.5 15 and myPointsTable1.cellNumericValue(4,4)=-10 5 exp1.submitted 1

otherwise 0

Since I want all the points to be checked before success is shown, do I use and statements like above or will I have to name each point and check each one?

1 Like

Are the two numbers following your cell values the coordinates? If so, you need to separate those:

cellNumericValue(2,1)=15 and cellNumericValue(2,2)=6

and so on.

As for naming all of the points, you don’t have to. Just list them with “and” between each

1 Like