Teacher feedback for sudent responses - table & text answer box

Hello,

I have been using CLs for student feedback in tables with numbers.

1)How can I use CL for student feedback in tables with letters? We are working on congruent triangles/segments, where students need to label the pieces with letters (Triangle ABC is congruent to triangle DEF).

2)How can I use CL for feedback in a text answer box? Looking for both numbers and letters.

Here is what I have been using:

figure1number = Answers.cellNumericValue(1,1)
figure2number = Answers.cellNumericValue(2,1)
figure3number = Answers.cellNumericValue(3,1)

initialCellContent(1,2): when (figure1number = 20) β€œ:white_check_mark:” otherwise " "
initialCellContent(2,2): when (figure2number = 5) β€œ:white_check_mark:” otherwise " "

cellEditable(1,2): false
cellEditable(2,2): false
cellEditable(3,2): false

1. If the entire column in a table is going to be non-numeric, you can change to text so that text is not italicized, but it’s not necessary. You can check content instead of numeric values like this:
chk1 = this.cellContent(1,1)="ABC" and this.cellContent(1,2)="DEF"
cellSuffix(1,2): when chk1 "βœ…" otherwise ""

I like using cellSuffix, as it doesn’t require another column taking up room on a screen.

1. For feedback text components, you can follow them with a note component with something like this in the CL:
chk2=when text1.content="ABC" "βœ…" otherwise ""
content: chk2

Note that this text checking is more like checking each word on a spelling test, so any extra characters or lowercase instead of uppercase will not be correct. And if the order of the letters doesn’t matter, you would have to check for all possible orders. So the text component check in the note would look like:

chk3=when (text1.content="ABC" or text1.content="BCA" or text1.content="CAB" 
or text1.content="CBA" or text1.content="BAC" or text1.content="ACB")
"βœ…" otherwise ""
content: chk3
1 Like

Thank you for the help!
I was able to get the text box to work but not the table feature.
I am getting a β€œ!” underline for the = sign in the first ck1.
Here is what I am using. Any advice?

figure1content = CongruentSegments.cellNumericValue(1,2)
figure2content = CongruentSegments.cellNumericValue(2,2)
figure3content = CongruentSegments.cellNumericValue(3,2)
figure4content = CongruentSegments.cellNumericValue(4,2)

ck1 = this.cellContent(3,2) when (figure1content = BE or figure1content = CB) β€œ:white_check_mark:” otherwise β€œβ€
ck2 = this.cellContent(3,3) when (figure2content = EY or figure2content = YE) β€œ:white_check_mark:” otherwise β€œβ€
ck2 = this.cellContent(3,4) when (figure4content = DE or figure3content = ED) β€œ:white_check_mark:” otherwise β€œβ€

cellEditable(1,3): false
cellEditable(2,3): false
cellEditable(3,3): false
cellEditable(4,3): false

The when-otherwise logic flows as: when (true logical statement) (do this) otherwise (do that)

If this is in the CL for the table you named CongruentSegments, then you can write this:

figure1content = this.cellContent(1,2)
figure2content = this.cellContent(2,2)
figure3content = this.cellContent(3,2)
figure4content = this.cellContent(4,2)

cellContent(3,2): when (figure1content = "BE" or figure1content = "CB") "βœ…" otherwise ""
cellContent(3,3): when (figure2content = "EY" or figure2content = "YE") "βœ…" otherwise ""
cellContent(3,4): when (figure4content = "DE" or figure3content = "ED") "βœ…" otherwise ""

You’ll need to use cellContent when you’re putting non-numeric values in a table or checking for them. You need cellContent( , ): as a sink when you’re predefining a cell.

cellContent(3,4) is using both cells 3,2 and 4,2. Is this what you meant?