Using Sliders for Graph and also getting student input

Hi, very new here…well at least I’ve been gone for a while…Wow, Desmos activities have come a LONG way! (=

I have an old Activity that I’m trying to make a little better.

I have a vertex form quadratic with sliders for a, h, and k so students can explore the transformations, but I really want to capture their ideas on how a affects the graph,(and h, k on later screens).

I’ve been trying to do any of the three below with no success. Can one of these be done, and if so, how?

1. add a student text response input to a screen that has a graph with a slider in the graphing window?, or
  2. create a slider outside the graphing window? with a student text response input?
  3. copy graph from previous slide and show the equation that they created (using the slider), then ask student to respond to what the value on the slider (a) did to their graph?

Thanks! Updating skills while implementing distance learning!!!

Or, another idea for 3. above is to to show equation as a label in the graph!!!
Ok, I think this will work. Still curious about how to do option 1 or 2 above. Thanks all!

Different purpose, but here’s an example from PanettaMath of a slider in a graph so that you can add an input component. (Number 3 is definitely feasible!)

1 Like

I would like to see sliders on graphs used in activities created just as easily on full-screen graphs so that students can read a note and type what they see.

Here is how I do it:
Create the slider as usual, I’ll use a from -5 to 5.
Create a horizontal line segment, y = 8 {-5<x<5}
Create a point on the segment (a,8) label: a= ${a}

You can play around with things when the slider needs to be much bigger or smaller than the values on your graph window.

For example on another graph, I had a window from like -10 to 60 for x and wanted a slider from 0 to 100. and -500 to 2000 for y.

For this, I first created the slider as normal b from 0 to 100.
Then a line at y = 1500 {0<x<10}
and a point (b,1500) label: b = ${b}