Check Mark on Teacher Dashboard

I have a table that the students are completing with exponential expressions. I would like to get a check mark on the teacher dashboard if the students are correct. I was able to get this to work on a previous slide, but am having issues on this slide. I get a dash showing on the teacher dashboard regardless of student accuracy/completion. I really do not understand the coding and am trying to learn. Thank you for your help! Here is my code:

cellContent(4,2): table3.cellContent(4,2)
cellContent(5,2): table3.cellContent(5,2)
cellContent(6,2): table3.cellContent(6,2)
cellContent(7,2): table3.cellContent(7,2)

readOnly: true

b = button5

cellDisableEvaluation(3,3): true
cellDisableEvaluation(4,3): true
cellDisableEvaluation(5,3): true
cellDisableEvaluation(6,3): true
cellDisableEvaluation(7,3): true

p = patterns
exponentPattern = p.exponent(p.literal(“2”),p.number)

row3Correct = exponentPattern.matches(this.cellContent(3,3)) and this.cellNumericValue(3,2) = this.cellNumericValue(3,3)
row4Correct = exponentPattern.matches(this.cellContent(4,3)) and this.cellNumericValue(4,2) = this.cellNumericValue(4,3)
row5Correct = exponentPattern.matches(this.cellContent(5,3)) and this.cellNumericValue(5,2) = this.cellNumericValue(5,3)
row6Correct = exponentPattern.matches(this.cellContent(6,3)) and this.cellNumericValue(6,2) = this.cellNumericValue(6,3)
row7Correct = exponentPattern.matches(this.cellContent(7,3)) and this.cellNumericValue(7,2) = this.cellNumericValue(7,3)

correct: this.cellContent(3,3) = 2^2 and this.cellContent(4,3) = 2^3 and this.cellContent(5,3) = 2^4 and this.cellContent(6,3) = 2^5 and this.cellContent(7,3) = 2^6

cellSuffix(3,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 “” otherwise “= {this.cellNumericValue(3,3)}" cellSuffix(4,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 "" otherwise "= {this.cellNumericValue(4,3)}”
cellSuffix(5,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 “” otherwise “= {this.cellNumericValue(5,3)}" cellSuffix(6,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 "" otherwise "= {this.cellNumericValue(6,3)}”
cellSuffix(7,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 “” otherwise “= ${this.cellNumericValue(7,3)}”

cellErrorMessage(3,3): when isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(3,3)) “” otherwise “Enter a numeric expression.”
cellErrorMessage(4,3): when isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(4,3)) “” otherwise “Enter a numeric expression.”
cellErrorMessage(5,3): when isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(5,3)) “” otherwise “Enter a numeric expression.”
cellErrorMessage(6,3): when isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(6,3)) “” otherwise “Enter a numeric expression.”
cellErrorMessage(7,3): when isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(7,3)) “” otherwise “Enter a numeric expression.”

warning:
when (isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(3,3)) or isBlank(this.cellContent(3,3)))
and (isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(4,3)) or isBlank(this.cellContent(4,3)))
and (isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(5,3)) or isBlank(this.cellContent(5,3)))
and (isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(6,3)) or isBlank(this.cellContent(6,3)))
and (isDefined(this.cellNumericValue(7,3)) or isBlank(this.cellContent(7,3))) “”
otherwise “Enter a numeric value.”

Delete readOnly: true. It tells the dashboard to ignore this component for grading purposes.

1 Like

This line you have above needs ${ }:

cellSuffix(3,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 “” otherwise “=
this.cellNumericValue(3,3)“cellSuffix(4,3):when b.timeSincePress=0 “” otherwise”= {this.cellNumericValue(4,3)}”
cellSuffix(5,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 “” otherwise
"= this.cellNumericValue(5,3)“cellSuffix(6,3):when b.timeSincePress=0"“otherwise”= {this.cellNumericValue(6,3)}”

cellSuffix(3,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 "" otherwise "= 
this.cellNumericValue(3,3)"cellSuffix(4,3):when b.timeSincePress=0 "" otherwise"= ${this.cellNumericValue(4,3)}"
cellSuffix(5,3): when b.timeSincePress = 0 "" otherwise 
"= ${this.cellNumericValue(5,3)}"cellSuffix(6,3):when b.timeSincePress=0""otherwise"= ${this.cellNumericValue(6,3)}"

This “${ }” notation runs code within a string.

this is the CL for the note above my math input expG

content: “{message} {feedback}”
message =
"Identify the slope.
m="
feedback = when expG.submitted and expG.numericValue=1 “\n\n\n✅Good work ! !”
when expG.submitted “\n\n\n❌Wrong answer. Please try again.”
otherwise “”

this is the CL for the note above my math input expE

message =
"Identify the slope.
m="
feedback = when expE.submitted and expE.numericValue=0.5 "\n\n\nâś…Good work ! !
when expE.submitted “\n\n\n❌Wrong answer. Please try again.”
otherwise “”

this is the CL for the note above my math input expS

message =
"Identify the slope.
m="
feedback = when expS.submitted and expS.numericValue=2 “\n\n\n✅Good work ! !”
when expS.submitted “\n\n\n❌Wrong answer. Please try again.”
otherwise “”

#so in total i have 3 math inputs with self check notes above them, but I put this CL in the last input
#this is the CL for expS
correct: expG.numericValue=1 and expE.numericValue=0.5 and expS.numericValue=2

And if a students answers all three inputs correct I do not get a gray check mark I only get a dot, which mean student interacted but not necessarily correct.

How do I fix

I don’t think it was actually missed. If you don’t use backticks in the forum to display your code, it sometimes formats oddly.

You will not get the check, but only the gray dot if there is some other text/textbox they’re having to complete in addition to other input. An x means it’s wrong. If you have other components, you could ignore them by adding to their CLs:

readOnly: true

OK these are the components I have in this one slide

sketch (w/pic) sketch (w/pic)
note (w/ self check CL) note (w/ self check CL)
math input (w/ correct sink) math input (w/ correct sink)

sketch (w/pic)
note (w/ self check CL)
math input (w/ correct sink)

This configuration FAILS to get me a gray check mark even with correct responses.

Note (w/ no CL) math input (w/ correct sink)

This configuration WORKS I get a gray check mark with correct responses and and X with wrong answers

Both slides basically have the same CL (code)

But the number of components and the orientation effects the gray check mark.

What do you mean by readONLY: true and how can i use this to help me.

sketch (w/pic)(readonly:true CL)______ sketch (w/pic)(readonly:true CL)
note (w/ self check CL)______________ note (w/ self check CL)
math input (w/ correct sink)___________math input (w/ correct sink)

sketch (w/pic)(readonly:true CL)
note (w/ self check CL)

So the thing that was really really messing me up with not the orientation
It was the extra components the sketches I guess you need to expressly CL to ignore these components

Is that what readonly: true means.

Yes that’s what readOnly: true means. (See my response in your other thread.)

It seems like readOnly: false is the default mode (readOnly: true says, “nothing interesting for the program to run here”), so a screen could be looking for correct info from every component unless you tell it not to.

I, too have noticed that the order of placement for Note and Math Input components, in particular, can affect whether or not you get a check. The component elements seem to be interacting more like functional programming which works more linearly, I guess.

I wish desmos could clarify this better.

Oh, Thank you very very much. my bad.

This seems very surprising to me (about the order mattering) - do you have any small examples to illustrate it? (For example, an activity with two screens). I think it sounds like a bug that Desmos would want to fix.

1 Like

Well, I tried to replicate the order placement problem, and I wasn’t able to. Although, I noticed that you can’t choose “Ask student to explain their answer” in multiple choice and have a math input box or note right below it–can be in the next column. Thanks to Bryn for directing me to go back and look again.

1 Like

Thank, very much
I am working on another slide and I want to echo back what you are saying to make sure I understand you better.

I have a math input with self check which works fine and i get the gray check mark
But as soon as I add another text input (so students can show their work), no gray check.
No way to fix this right.

No checkmarks if there is a text input or an “Explain your answer” prompt because there is the expectation it needs to be reviewed by the teacher.