Gray Check Mark

Hello Desmos Forum,

I know many people ask about the “correct” sink and getting the gray check on the dashboard. I have read the responses and tried things like making my graph component readOnly=true, but nothing seems to work.

My current screen has a graph, note, table, and text input. I made the graph readOnly=true. The note and text input do not have readOnly sinks. In the table, my CL has:

correct: this.cellNumericValue(1,1)=4 and this.cellNumericValue(1,2)=10 and this.cellNumericValue(1,3)=8 and this.cellNumericValue(1,4)=2

When I input these values into the table, I expect a gray check and all I get is a dot. What else am I missing? The correct sink is really finicky.

Thanks Again,
Richard

If you type readOnly = true that won’t do anything because it’s a sink.

Try doing this in your graph (with the colon)

readOnly: true

Thanks Bryn,
I tried readOnly: true and it still fails.

Here is a link to the screen.

Ah, okay, now I’ve seen that you have a text input as well (called text75).

Desmos can’t determine automatically whether a student has entered something correct in there.

So the best you could get from that screen is a dot (or a cross if something can be determined as incorrect.)

As a side remark, I would probably have made that text box into a multiple choice with options “theoretical” and “experimental”. (You can make it into one where they need to explain their answer although that will still have the issues described above.)

Thank you again. I would love to see Desmos add a sink for the text input to take explanations out of the correction sink. Maybe they could call it unGraded: true.

Richard

1 Like

I think they would call it readOnly: true if anything, but something tells me that isn’t likely to come soon.

If I were you, I would consider splitting the screen into two screens so that you can easily see the correctness of the table.

If there is a text explanation, a dot isn’t entirely useless to the teacher. If you are using the correct sink for math input or MC, it can mean that the answer is correct, but the teacher also needs to check the written response. If the student gets the math input or choice wrong, an X will still appear on the dashboard regardless of the written explanation.

2 Likes

I agree with Richard. It’s been an issue that has come up before regarding the shortcomings of how Textual input interacts with correctness.

It should be optional, not hardcoded this way.

Heard. The challenge here is to convey as much information as possible with as few symbols as possible since classtime is so precious.

A couple things on our mind:

• a different way on the dashboard to show some more information density (like a way to indicate both that the gradeable parts are correct and there’s also ungradeable work)
  • a way to export correctness into e.g. a spreadsheet where you get greater information density and the benefit of a all of the tools of something like excel.

We don’t want to add a “correct” or a “readOnly” sink to a text input since it’s definitionally neither of those, and that would mean that useful information is getting thrown away. Feels like the fix here is to expose more in the dashboard rather than less, though I recognize that’s on us.

One comfort: the dot is far from meaningless. You will see an “x” if any of the autograded parts are incorrect, so a dot is exactly the same as a check on a screen with ungradeable work.

We’ll keep thinking – thank you for bringing this up.

7 Likes

Thanks again for the detailed explanation!

Thank you for your explanation. Is there any way for the teacher to manually mark explanations correct or incorrect? I know I can leave feedback, but when I do that positively and negatively, it’s not helpful and it’s a very small notation so I really want to easily see check marks or something in the spreadsheet view. I’m having a very hard time keeping track of who I already gave feedback to when allowing students to go at their own pace. Thank you!

3 Likes

One thing that I would like is text wrapping for table columns that are formatted as text. The “Top” and “Left” columns are set to text wrap. If the other text columns could to the same, then we could have students write answers in those columns and still be able to have math columns that self grade and provide the gray check mark.

2 Likes

Hi there,

As it’s been half a year, I was hoping for an update on this. It sounds like some thought was going to go into fixing the UX on this.

Where are we with this?

This is probably the wrong place to share this, but I don’t have a better one yet. I need something to show me if a student has completed all the parts of a slide. I often have 3 or even more different things a student needs to do and I want something on the dashboard to let me know if they did not complete a part. For example, if they have a text component and there is a share with the class option, I want to know that they actually shared with the class. As far as I can figure out right not, if they just type in the field I will see a dot in the dashboard-- even if they do not share.

1 Like

Can you add “input.submitted” to another component’s correct sink show it’ll show an X? Still doesn’t tell you if they attempted all I guess.

I have some pat your head and rub your tummy approaches that work to varying degrees in different places-- but I have yet to pull it all together in something that is simple and consistently works.

1 Like

I’m loving the “pat your head and rub your tummy approaches.”