Student Dashboard Summary

Sorry if this has been covered already but I’m just learning how to edit the scripts in desmos and what I’m trying to do is change the Dashboard summary from a dot to a check mark once they have it correct. Any insight to how this can work would be greatly appreciated.

I already have where it can check to see if the students points are in the correct location but if there is an better way than what I have done please let me know.

Here is the link to the activity that I made

Easy. In the script for whichever component is being graded use

correct: condition for being correct

And make sure to mark any other components (except notes and sketch inputs)

readOnly:true

So for one of my screens I put this in…

correct: (x1=-4) and (x2=-1) and (x3=-3) and (y1=3) and (y2=4) and (y3=-1)

and it will show the x if it is wrong but won’t show the check. Am I doing something wrong?

have you marked everything else as read only?

I did that for the graph and it does the check mark thank you.

1 Like

I had the same question and was happy to find the answer here.
Thanks! : )

2 Likes

I am struggling on slide 5 to get a check mark rather than a dot on the student summary. I know it must be something simple-- but so am I :slight_smile:

Here is the lesson

On slide 5, the student is prompted to explain their reasoning. Anytime the student is asked to explain, it will either show a dot or an X, depending on the type of question and whether or not their initial response was correct.

1 Like

I am having a similar problem. Kids are getting the right feedback but I’m still seeing Xs even though I should be seeing checks. I’m new to all of this and appreciate your help.

Looks like a simple fix. I think you just had the formatting of your countNumberUsage incorrect. It should look like this:

countNumberUsage(f.latex, 0) = zerocount and countNumberUsage(f.latex, 1) = onecount and countNumberUsage(f.latex, 2)=twocount and countNumberUsage(f.latex, 6)=six4count

When I entered that, I was able to get a check mark on the dashboard and the correct feedback.

I did it!!! Thank you so much!!! I appreciate your time and help so much!!! :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Is it possible to get the dashboard check if there are multiple inputs? I have a slide with a graph and 2 questions…What is the slope of the line? What is the y-intercept of the line?

Yes. You just have to have your correct sink for each input, and have readOnly:true in your graph CL.

On slide 18 the answer is 1 and the “submit” button works. However, the teacher summary always says “dot”, even if they put something other than 1. I know with the “explain” it won’t do a check, but how do I get the dot or x feature as opposed to only dots please? Thank you in advance!

Slide 16 doesn’t appear to have any feature, but since there are multiple right answers I don’t know where to start. Please? Thank you!

It would also be really amazing if students could see if they completed the card sorts correctly. I found examples where students could see how many they got correct, but I don’t want that. I just want a simple “Correct! or Keep Working!”. Please and Thank you!

Slide 18 looks like a text input. I’m not sure that’s the slide you meant.

Slide 16 is a card sort. There are a few things you can get back for card sorts, but you would have to give feedback on a following slide.
totalCards, totalCorrectCards, and matchesKey which I think are mostly pretty self-explanatory.

For totalCorrectCards, cards are ‘wrong’ if they are grouped with any cards they aren’t supposed to be or they’re alone when the shouldn’t be.

See the documentation for how to use them.

Sorry, I was just in the process of rearranging them based on my co-teacher’s suggestions of title slides when you answered.

Slide 18 is now 22. (On slide 22 the answer is 1 and the “submit” button works. However, the teacher summary always says “dot”, even if they put something other than 1. I know with the “explain” it won’t do a check, but how do I get the dot or x feature as opposed to only dots please? Thank you in advance!)

Slide 16 is now slide 20 (Slide 20 doesn’t appear to have any feature, but since there are multiple right answers I don’t know where to start. Please? Thank you!)

I see what you’re saying for the card sort, but I’m VERY new at this and only have an introductory programmer skills so I’ll have to look at the documentation after school. THANK YOU!!!

Slide 22 you have correct = , that’s a variable that just lives there. If you want it to effect the dashboard, you need to add another line correct: correct.

A lot of people use correct as a variable and as a sink. I prefer to call my variables check so it’s not confused with the correct sink. If you do change it to check, you’ll need to fix your note CL to match.

I’m not well versed enough with sketches to help with Slide 20. If I wanted an auto check, I’d make two pairs of moveable points, functions for lines through those points, and a calculation for that system of equations. Then, students just move the points to adjust the lines.

Got a little complicated, but this graph. (You can paste the link for a Desmos calculator into the first expression line of a graph component.)
In the graph CL:

correct: this.number(`T`)=0

That was incredibly helpful!!! Thank you sooo much!!!

I finally finished re-arranging and it’s slide 24 now and it seems to work great!! There are no CL warnings that I can find in edit mode, but when I go to “preview”, they have the red triangle saying there are CL warnings. Can you help me there please?
That’s actually happening a lot, but I’m hoping it’s the same small mistake each time. It’s slides 3, 5, 6, 16-22, 24, 25, 28, 40, 41,

I also have one last question (I believe) if you have time. I added slides 16-22 and outside of the concern about the red warning, there are orange warnings. It seems if the slope is a fraction or a negative decimal, I can’t enter it on the graph’s “correct:” feature. (Positive decimals seem fine.) Obviously I could do all integer slopes, but I’d like the students to see some variety. (I’ll be extra impressed if you can help me add one more with x=#, but I’m not too worried about that.)

Thank you again!!! I really appreciate it and am excited to teach this lesson!!!

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to ask for help on adjusting the equation input and making the dashboard mark it as correct. I coded it with the latex but it seems like if the students enter a mathematical equivalent of the equation (like y=3/1x-2), it does not show a check mark on the dashboard.

Is this possible?

Thanks again for all the help.